Monday, May 1, 2017

Oops, missed a year!

Well, I didn't miss it, you did. Garden-wise, it was nothing to blog about. I planted a garden, but the summer of 2016 was so incredibly busy that there were only 2 weekends all summer long that we were home and not busy with something. The garden was neglected and lost to weeds. I think I may have gotten a handful of peas out of the deal, and a cucumber. But, that's what happens when gardening isn't the priority. I wouldn't have had the time to can it all anyway! It was a good year for Molly and the rest of our farmer's market friends!
The kids are bigger. Stella is very grown up, rapidly approaching the end of her kindergarten year. She is great at math and is able to read pretty well. She is taking dance lessons, and has her spring recital at the end of this month. She is currently crazy about Moana (which is pretty awesome!).James is an off-the-wall 3-and-a-half year old who has VERY strong opinions about certain things. Things like basketball shirts (his sister's Rec shirts that are too big for him), sneakers (instead of boots, and even wears them to bed!), basketball (shot with a tennis ball), riding his bike (but only the ancient rusty trike that's too small for him, not his brand-new spiderman bike which he won't sit on for a minute, and food (current likes: yogurt, fruit, goldfish and/or graham crackers, bagels, donuts, fruit. current dislikes: pretty much everything else.). But he's amazing in his ability to be a pretty horrible little creature and then be perfectly lovable and adorable five minutes later.
I got a little gardening done yesterday, and I'm happy to report that the soil actually kind of looks awesome! Only took ten years! I put in potatoes and peas yesterday. I also started some seedlings in the greenhouse. I haven't started anything indoors, but plan to start melons and squash.
I just finished reading Eliot Coleman's Four Season Harvest, and while I'm not planning on winter growing anytime soon, I am interested in succession planting and extending the season where feasible, so that is weighing on my mind these days. One thing that is becoming obvious is I am not letting my seedlings get big enough to have a fighting chance of competing with (and, ideally, choking out) weeds, so I am really going to focus on letting the plants get a healthy start towards that goal.
Fedco Tree Sale is this weekend, and I'm going with the kids, but probably will just pick up a few things at Grower's Supply. No extra money this year- I just bought a car last week!
I'll try to stay in touch; it's fun to read the old entries.

No comments:

Post a Comment